Friday 7 December 2012

December!

First of all it's December.  Which means that I'm not too fussed about healthy eating this month.  Weyhey!  Yep, December, for me is all about having fun with food and friends.  The gym will still be there in January ;)

There's a blog I really like called Joy the Baker.  Have you heard of Joy?  She's cool.   I've been reading her foodie baking blog for some time now and during that time I've seen her brand, her writing and her baking evolve into this really awesome blog.  I love her style - she's easy-going, not too perfect and just a real down-to-earth kind of a girl who you want to invite around for girly chats, tea and cookies.  I want to share a post she did recently with this Orange Gingerbread with Cream Cheese Frosting which sings with the sweetness of a cold winter night.

Talking of joy, I had a whole lot of fun making sugar cookies recently.  I made a whole batch with festive shapes and icing - you could even make some to hang on the Christmas Tree as decorations.  I found this video from The Joy of Baking website ...yes it's a bit old-skool, but it's a great tutorial which is why I'm sharing it with y'all.  And maybe you can have a giggle (like I did) about the pig in the background on the counter... did you spot it?  So random.  Anyway, bake some cookies with your kids, friends, family and get creative!





Sugar Cookies...

Ingredients

390 g all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

225 g unsalted butter, room temperature

200 g granulated white sugar

2 large eggs

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Royal Icing Using Egg Whites:

2 large egg whites

2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

330 g icing sugar

Watch the video above for the method!

What is everyone doing for Christmas? I must admit that I'm not a huge fan of Christmas and I will miss my friends in Australia this year.  But one thing I am looking forward to is turkey with cranberry sauce on Christmas day. And some nice crispy roast potatoes.  How DO you get potatoes THAT crispy?  Well, here's the way I do them.  Well actually, no I'm lying, this is the way a rather handsome young british chap makes them...  Focus on the roast potatoes ladies ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment