Thursday 25 April 2013

Creamy spring vegetable pasta with basil - Gluten Free

They say you eat with your eyes and I could not agree more!  I just love to put lots of colour in my food.  The more colourful the plate, the tastier, and also healthier for you!

So when I threw together this spring vegetable pasta, the colours were the first thing that hit me - closely followed by the incredible fragrance of the basil.  I LOVE basil!

By the time I served this up - I quickly snapped a picture and then dived straight in.  My version was Gluten Free and made with Doves Organic Gluten Free pasta, but you could use normal pasta if you're not following a gluten free diet.  Throw it in a large serving dish and let everyone dive in - social style!  If you don't have this shape of pasta, this dish would also work amazingly with Fettuccini too!

Here's how I made it!

Ingredients


450g Doves Organic Gluten Free Pasta (from Wholefoods Market)  (or use normal pasta if not following a gluten free diet )
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 small tin of sweetcorn (no sugar or salt added!)
1 Red bell pepper - cut into thin strips
1 Large courgette -  cut into thin strips
2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
2 cups Cherry Tomatoes, halved (and half again if you have the patience!)
¼ cup Fresh Basil, roughly chopped plus extra leaves for garnish
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
40 g  Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp Olive Oil, to finish


Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to packet instructions.  Add a dash of olive oil (to stop sticking, and a pinch of salt).

Meanwhile, in your groovy kitchen, heat the oil in a large sauté or wok style pan over medium to high heat. (I say groovy because as I made this I had some groovy music on in the background...I did a little dance - I'm glad you didn't see. I dance like my Dad.) ;)

Add the corn and bell pepper and fry to soften for 2 minutes.

Add the courgette and garlic and cook a further 2 minutes.

Add the tomatoes and toss to combine everything together, season to taste with salt and pepper.

Drain the cooked pasta in a colander and add to the pan of vegetables.  Mix it all up together good!

Add the basil, lemon juice, half the parmesan and some more salt and pepper. This is the flavouring part of the recipe - here's where you taste a bit and adjust the seasoning to your own taste :)  (I call it cooks-perks!)

Serve onto a large plate and garnish with the remaining parmesan and basil leaves.

Grab a fork.

Dive in.

Don't look back :)

No comments:

Post a Comment