Sunday 7 April 2013

Lazy days in Lake Atitlan

My brilliant mate Emma is travelling the world at the moment, currently in Lake Atitlan, Guatemala (how coool is that?!) and although I'm very jealous (very! Just look at all the colours and sunshine!) the photos she's taken are just making me drool... ! She's an amazing photographer and here she shares a few tasty ones exclusively for you and me in this very special foodie postcard from Gautemala... over to you Emma!

The food here focuses on combining healthy with yummy! The fruit and veg, fresh from the nearby farmers markets, are full of colour and flavour. My favourite time of the day has to be breakfast - for me it's such a treat to eat out for breakfast!

My favourite cafe here, Cafe La Peurta, bakes a 3 seed wholewheat bread, which toasted is to die for, and you can tell the jam is homemade. It's served with a pot of their house blended breakfast tea or freshly squeezed watermelon and pineapple juice. I just love the colours! I think I could eat here forever :)


We stumbled across a little veggie cafe the other day, and although my boyfriend doesn't really believe a meal is a meal without meat, I managed to persuade him to give it a try! I ordered the rainbow salad with homemade bread and thickly spread homemade hummus. The hummus was amazing! He went for goats cheese salad, all multi-coloured and organic. Food here is not just delicious though, it's almost a decorative art form!


There's this amazing little juice stand in the village, run by a family of beautiful Guatemalan girls. The girls wear the traditional Mayan dress, made from local fabrics. Traditionally the vibrant colours and patterns denoted the village they come from. I think it's so wonderful how they've held on to their traditions in this way. The juices are so delicious, and they are cheap too! It's a win-win!

So let me share with you my current favourite juice recipe, courtesy of the lovely Mayan girls. It's super scrummy! (and if you make yourself one, you gotta let me know what you think!):

2 beetroots
2 carrots
2.5 oranges
fresh ginger

Juice. Blend. Enjoy.

I love it here! I do, I really do! Guatemala has surprised me in so many ways! Its natural beauty, its vibrant colours, its love of good food, and its warm, gentle approach to life. I've been staying at Lake Atitlan in the Highlands for the last week, and it's the kind of place that's hard to leave. Ringed by numerous immense volcanoes, the lake is famed not only for its S-P-E-C-T-A-C-U-L-A-R beauty but also for its prominent Mayan culture and traditions.
Emma Jackson is a portrait and lifestyle photographer, usually based in the Cotwolds in England, but travelling around the world in 2013. www.paperlotusphotography.com

2 comments:

  1. These images are beautiful and the food looks so tasty!! What a great post, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Jama! I know, Emma's photos are so colourful and tasty... I can almost smell the air and taste the food! I hope to share more from Emma's travels soon! :D xoxo

    ReplyDelete