Monday 22 April 2013

Speedy Thai Style Fried Rice - Gluten Free!

Oh my goodness what a lovely weekend it was here in the UK!  The first bit of spring sunshine - the blossom is coming out and it's the second time I've been out for a walk without my coat on. Hurrah!

This weather really inspires me with my cooking and I tend to always turn to Thai and Asian inspired dishes.  I'm going to share with you my secret go-to Thai fried rice.  I make it all the time, it's really yummy and I've been making it for years - it's like my Saturday night takeaway - but this is really much better than takeaway rice!  And it's SO quick too!  And it's gluten free as I use Tamari instead of soy sauce (Tamari is fermented soya beans instead of wheat,  which is what soy sauce is) I usually call it Angie's special fried rice - here's how I did it!


Ingredients

1 tablespoon of Sunflower oil
1 clove garlic – crushed or finely chopped
½ a red and green pepper (capsicum for you aussies)
broccoli – a good handful (I had some left over from Sunday lunch)
2 egg - beaten
1 pack of king prawns
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
Some leftover rice (or cheat and use 1 pack of Uncle Bens micro rice like I did)
A small bunch of coriander - chopped
4 spring onions, finely diced
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons of Tamari

Method

Add a tablespoon of sunflower oil to a hot wok and add the beaten eggs.

Scramble together immediately and when just cooked, tip onto a plate.  And keep it to one side.

Return the wok to the heat and add the other sunflower oil.

Add the garlic, peppers and broccoli, stir fry together until beginning to soften.

Add the prawns and stirfry some more.

Now add the rice.  Stirfry for another minute or two and then add the tamari and sesame oil

Add the spring onions.

Keep stirring until rice is heated through.

Add the Egg back into the wok and stir through.

Turn off the heat and add the coriander.  Stir through.

Serve and enjoy!

*Adaptations - If you want some heat or like chills, add a finely chopped medium chili at the same stage as the garlic :)

If you don't like prawns you can add chicken or leave out entirely and just enjoy with the eggs :)

2 comments:

  1. Yum! There's nothing nicer than Thai food, especially when the sun is in the sky. Thanks for visiting my blog, and for your lovely comment. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura! Yes, this sunshine is such a lovely change! Look forward to tweeting again soon! Have a fab week x

    ReplyDelete