Wednesday 18 July 2012

My 5 favourite healthy summer snacks!

Today my blog friend, Cathy (from the awesome blog Cathy Trails - which is one of my top reads!) is guest posting for you all!  And wow, has she got a really great post for you guys... I am in love with these 5 healthy summer snacks already.  Now, where did I put my fork? YUM - Over to you Cathy!
Cathy Trails



I'm obsessed with Dishes Undressed. What's there NOT to obsess about? The healthy recipes, the alluring food photos, and easy to follow directions makes Dishes Undressed the go-to spot for fresh eats. Therefore, I am honored to guest post on Angela's wonderful food heaven today and so excited to share with you my fave snacks (especially if you're motivated to stay in shape without having to neglect those taste buds!). 

Snack happy and much love to Angela!! 


1. 1 cup mixed berries. I prefer to mix blackberries and blueberries because of the high level of antioxidants! Roughly chop a few dried figs and throw those into the mix. Top with 2 tbsp of whipped cream. A classy yet light summer dessert snack!

2. 1/2 raw zucchini (sliced)  with 2 Tbsp homemade hummus. I know, I know - - it's so much easier to buy the hummus at the store but if you're frugal like me, it's so much more cost-effective to make your own.


3. 1 slice Ezekiel bread, 1 tbsp. peanut butter, half banana, small handful of dried blueberries. Why Ezekiel? It's only 80 calories per slice and is super healthy without tasting too healthy (if you know what I mean). Dried blueberries? Why not? It adds a sweet punch to the whole package.

4. Half avocado, 1/2 whole wheat pita bread. So simple and so delightful. Avocados are such a healthy fat, too! Toast up that pita bread, mash up the half avocado with a fork, throw in some red peppers, and voila!





5. Two small organic kiwis. Did you know one kiwi contains more potassium than one banana?

"All pretty images and sources can be found here"

Thank you SO much Cathy for these inspiring ideas! Wow, we are really in for some healthy snacky treats tonight!  Please come back soon!  In the meantime visit Cathy's Blog 'Cathy Trails' here! x

7 comments:

  1. Wow, it turned out great! So happy to be guest posting here on your Lovely Blog!!! I can't wait to share yours with my readers tomorrow :) They'll absolutely love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love your suggestions Cathy! Congrats on the guest post. its always really fun th&t the inside of that kiwi looks like a heart...love it!llol

    sweetsweetnightingale.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah! I didn't notice the heart, but now you mention it, yes! it's so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I need to try the first recipe. Thanks, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were right Cathy, I do love this post :D Especially because I have such a sweet tooth so I'm always looking for healthy snacks. I'm most excited to try the first one :D

    Thanks for hosting this Angie! I can't wait to cook your gluten free biscuit recipe for my gluten intolerant brother. I'll let you know how it goes :) Rhi xx

    The Wildest of Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love fruit, it's definitely my healthy snack of all time, they're just so fresh and yummy. Strawberries have always been my favourite!
    Dreams In A Poppy Field...
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rhianna and Hi Beth = thanks so much for your lovely comments and stopping by! Amazing to see Rhianna that you're in Fremantle! And Beth, you're just down the road from me in the UK, In Bath! (My favourite cafe is Colonna and Smalls? do you know it? Amazing coffee...) xoxo

    ReplyDelete