Wednesday 18 July 2012

Thai mango prawn noodles

Hello hungry friends!

A long time ago I met a really cool guy in a hostel dorm who showed me how to make this really easy Thai dish.  It's one of those things that's been at the back of my mind for years and only this week did it resurface (as a lot of fluff from the back of the brain sometimes does) when I had a mango and some left over prawns to conjure up some dinner with.

It's great if you like Thai and Asian food but need to follow a gluten free diet because it doesn't require any soy sauce.  And, if you use rice noodles, then it's completely wheat free.

Here's how I made it:

Ingredients

Left over prawns
1 Mango
1 clove garlic
Rice noodles (as many as you like)
Sesame oil (2 tablespoons)
1/2 lemon (juiced)
A good handful of mint (yes, I've still got heaps of mint in the garden!)
A sprinkle of coriander if you have some (I didn't).

Chop the mint, set aside.

Heat 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil in a wok, add the garlic and heat in the oil for a few seconds then add the prawns to 'toast' up a bit.  Set aside.

Get a small saucepan on the heat and add the other half of sesame oil and garlic, add the mango and lemon juice.  Heat until the mango goes a bit pulpy and sticky.  Set aside.

Boil the noodles according to pack instructions.  Drain.

Get your wok and prawns back on the heat and add the noodles.  Stir around until combined.  Add a few splashes of soy sauce if you like for taste.

Add the mango at the last moment, and serve up - sprinkle with mint (and coriander if you have some) and salt and pepper while still hot.

Apart from making food, I also love to doodle - here's a doodle I made.  Inspired by coffee!

Happy Wednesday!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. Delicious + easy = I'm in! I have a friend who taught me to make a ridiculously easy Chinese dish, and it's one of my favorite meals now. I think this will be a new favorite!

    Adorable doodle, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Cathy and Danie! Oh your chinese dish sounds yummy Danie, do share! Ah thanks and I'm glad you like the doodle! :) thanks for your lovely comments! x

    ReplyDelete