Tuesday 3 July 2012

Zucchini Fritters - Gluten free

I've got to say it's been a dull week.  On all counts.

First of all the British summertime has failed to make any real effort recently and secondly, because the e-course I have been 'attending' for the last month is coming to an end (aw).

But by goodness, the wonder of delicious food makes everything better, especially when you discover something that is so quick and easy.  It's magic.

OK, I'm clearly getting excited, so let me tell you how I made these wonderful bites of zucchini gluten free fritter goodness.

But before I do, I must just clear up the 'what-to-call-a-small-green-marrow-issue'.  In the UK we call a 'Zucchini' a Courgette.  In USA and Australia, you call them Zucchini.  I have no idea why, maybe I should Wikipedia it (I did here).  I prefer to say Zucchini because I think it's snazzier!  Courgette sounds boring, doesn't it?

Zucchini Gluten Free Fritters

1 medium courgettes / zucchini (grated)
3 large spring onions (chopped)
1 clove of garlic (chopped)
zest of 1 lemon (finely grated)
50g chickpea (or gram) flour (<-- it's gluten free that!)
1 tablespoon mixed herbs
1 bunch chopped mint (fresh from my mother's garden..!)
2 eggs beaten (lightly)
1 tablespoon olive oil

For the Tzatziki

100g Soya Yogurt (or normal yogurt if you don't have a dairy issue)
1/4 grated cucumber
sprinkling of mint
salt and pepper

Mix together the chickpea (or gram) flour, courgette/zucchini, spring onions, garlic, lemon zest, salt and pepper.  Then fold in the eggs until mixture comes together a bit like a pancake batter.

Heat the oil in a frying pan and when it's hot dump an ice-cream scoop sized ball of batter in the pan (I did 2 at a time) and fry on one side for 3 minutes.  Then flip over.  Press down with a flat spoon or fish slice and after another 3 minutes, flip onto the plate.

To make the Tzatziki - stir the grated cucumber and mint into the yogurt and season with pepper.  What is Tzatziki Angie? <-- Well,  I'm glad you asked.  It's a cooling, refreshing Greek dip that's a bit like an Indian riata, I suppose.  In fact it probably is more of a riata that a tzatziki this one because the Greek version calls for dill, lemon juice and a bit of garlic.  Either version is delicious and tastes of Greek sunshine and sunshine holidays.

Dip in and away you go!

They also work wonderfully as vegetarian gluten free burgers.  Yes! Yes they DO! Can you tell how excited I am about this?  I can't wait to make them again, slap on some tomato relish and mayo and a bit of lettuce and put them between some gluten free bread.  Gluten free overload for damn sure.

Healthy, delicious, fast and simple - definitely too good to share!

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that sounds sooo tasty and healthy. I've been obsessed with all of your recipes!! Thank you so much for always sharing them :)

    Cathy Trails

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathy! Thank you so much, I'm so glad you're obsessed with the yummy recipes! I love having you stop by - and look forward to sharing more exciting food related blog posts with you soon! i hope that you're new job is going great too! big lovely wishes to you xo

    ReplyDelete