Friday 13 July 2012

Pretty Lunch with Quinoa

I love food that's colourful don't you?  I think it tastes better too.

This was my lunch today - a super colourful and sweet beetroot and peach quinoa with feta and mint. Just saying it makes your mouth water, right? (Like what I did there with the colours?)

'POW!' Yes, this lunch blew my socks off.  I wish I had made a big BIG bowl of it and packaged some tiny portions up in tupperware containers and sent some to you all.

In fact, you could really do this and eat it for lunch at work all week - Now there's an idea!

Here's how I made it.

Ingredients
Tinned beetroot (if you have more time you can get fresh and boil them up first) but for quickness, I just used some already jarred ones from the supermarket.
Tinned peaches (in juice, not syrup!) or if you're not in a hurry, fresh peaches will be great!
100g Quinoa (rinsed)
300ml boiling water
Half a slab of Feta cheese
Hand full of mint (mint is still growing like crazy in my window box!)
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper

Pop the Quinoa in a saucepan with 300ml water and bring to the boil.

When it's boiling simmer until all the water is gone and fluff up Quinoa with a fork.  You know when Quinoa is cooked because it plumps up and the little root becomes visible. 20 mins approx

Chop the beetroot (yes your hands will stain purple!) peaches, feta and mint.

Mix lemon juice, oil and salt and pepper well.

Throw the beetroot, peaches, feta and mint into the quinoa, throw in the dressing too and mix up.

Eat right away.

Healthy, Delicious, quick, it's also GLUTEN FREE and CARBOHYDRATE FREE (Quinoa is NOT wheat like Couscous, Quinoa is a protein - yey)!  These are the secrets to good health.  Go for it!

1 comment:

  1. Absolute yum time. I've been loving beets lately because it tastes amazing and is super super healthy. Love this recipe! :)

    Cathy Trails

    ReplyDelete